We hold Shabbat services year-round and invite you to observe and celebrate with us. As a Reconstructionist congregation, all services are participatory and egalitarian. Transliteration for Hebrew prayers and readings are integrated into our prayer books. Below is an overview of our many Shabbat offerings.
SUMMER SCHEDULES VARY!
Kabbalat Shabbat (Friday Evenings)
Join Rabbi Shawn Zevit for our soul-centered, musical Kabbalat Shabbat, held every other Friday evening at 7:30 pm unless otherwise noted. We gather in the Chapel on the third floor.
Once-a-month Community Potluck Dinners begin at 5:45 p.m., preceding Kabbalat Shabbat services. All are welcome. Please see the calendar
Please click on the highlighted links for dates and details on our many Shabbat offerings:
Torah Study is held every Shabbat morning from 9:00 - 10:00 a.m., led by members of the community, including member rabbis and Rabbis Shawn and Yael. Seasoned Torah study facilitators and first-timers alike are all welcome to lead! For more information, or to sign-up, write us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shabbat Morning Services begin at 10:00 a.m., led by Rabbi Shawn Zevit and/or Rabbi Yael Levy and additional service leaders throughout the year. Dynamic, engaging services mix and alternate a grounding in Jewish liturgical tradition with music, meditation, chant, study, issue-oriented guest speakers, b'nai mitzvah and special themes. Please check our calendar for specific information on each Shabbat morning service.
We also offer the following programing on select Shabbatot - please check the calendar
- Tot Shabbat is a twice-monthly service for children under 5 and their grown-ups. Tot Shabbat begins at 9:00 a.m.
- Shabbat Family Program, once-monthly, from 11:00 a.m. to noon, during the Torah service or during Kabbalat Shabbat potluck or services on Friday evenings, actively explores relevant lessons of the week's Torah portion and select Shabbat prayers with movement, imagination, discussion, art and music. For parents and adult caregivers along with their children; led by Rabbinic Intern Julie Benioff.
- A Way In: Mindfulness Services & Lunch Services weaving together meditation and music with Jewish liturgy and texts are held twice-monthly in the Chapel at Mishkan Shalom, led by Rabbi Yael Levy. In addition, all are invited to a lunch provided by A Way In: Jewish Mindfulness Organization.
- Celebrations! offers family education workshops designed for children who have special needs, their parents and siblings. Two age groups meet on ten Shabbat mornings throughout the year with additional gatherings for holidays.
- Spiritual Direction Circles are offered monthly, 9:00-9:55 a.m., led by trained Spiritual Directors Andrea Madden, Meredith Barber and Rabbi Shawn Zevit. We request those participating arrive punctually, ready to begin at 9:00 a.m., so as not to disturb the flow and sharing that takes place.